* Data should be no more than 3 clicks from the Authority main landing page... ie Links must be clear.
* There should be a special "Data & Transparency section" on a council's website. Just downloadable files.... no text.
* CSV Files - Headers in the first row (no title on row A).
* CSV Files - No "Inline Totals".
* Files should be described simply by their filename. Filename structure should be standardised
ie ...... 500spend-2010-12.csv (description-year-month.extension)
* Members of the public should be able to demand that councils rename incorrect files
* Every council should have:-
Building asset list. Including Address (postcode in separate column), floor space, employees, vacant or used/%, for sale or not
Vehicle asset list (vehicle type (eg Ceremonial Vehicle/ Bin Wagon), which department, number plate, date of purchase/hire, owned/lease hire,value)
Open Land assets, location (lat/lng NOT EASTINGS AND NORTHINGS!!), postcode (if avail), size, for sale or not
*National Government should DICTATE what columns should be in each of the above files. KEEP THEM SHORT AND SIMPLE
* Publish to Central government, file names inline with ONS ie
http://assets.gov.uk/data/30.building.csv - Lancashire County Council Building Assets
http://assets.gov.uk/data/30UH.building.csv - Lancaster Council Building Assets
There should be an Index Page on assets.gov.uk indicating last update.CSV files dynamically generated. Name of last uploaded displayed on index page (include GSI email address)
* As we've seen from Police.UK, developers want RAW data, not analysed information.
* For the reportable earnings threshold of £58200 per year is A LOT OF MONEY! The reportable amount should be lower, linked to higher tax rate, presently £37100. This represents an amount significantly over the UK national average earnings, £22800.
"JOB TITLE","NAME OF EMPLOYEE","DEPARTMENT","EMPLOYEE START","JOB DATE START","JOB DATE FINISHED","BASIC SALARY", "BONUS TOTAL","GOVERNMENT PENSION CONTRIBUTIONS"
Note I've included EMPLOYEE Start and JOB Start...... This would stop employees being made redundant and moved into other high paid positions.
There should be NO opt-out for senior staff to hide their name, they work in the PUBLIC sector and assume the responsibilities that go with that.
* On file download pages there should be a comments section for members of the public to share their views, and also tag the file.
* Associated with the £500 expenditure limit, I should be able to search for the invoice code on the council website and download the associated invoice (scanned or electronic). Contractors should NOT include payment details on their invoices, which should be registered on a private internal system. Each contractor should have a unique reference number so that I can search the council website for all contracts signed between the authority and that contractor.
* If a council "Copyrights" information, I should still be allowed to download for my own use, and for the purposes of fraud prevention